Friday, June 27, 2014


The Blogfadduh... 


The Acidman.

I first wrote about Rob in a post from 2007:

It was a year ago today that I learned of the passing of Rob Smith aka “Acidman”. I began reading his blog “Gut Rumbles” three years prior. Rob was a great writer that was able to skewer his points home with a flare that was all his own. Some say he was gruff and crude. To me he was a diamond, in the rough. A “Tall Dog” indeed. I posted a few comments on his blog and we exchanged an e-mail or two.

Not without his problems, Rob went in to Willingway Hospital to slay some of his demons. Before he went in, Rob invited his readers to send written correspondence to give him something to do. He guaranteed he would write back. I sent him a brief missive wishing him the best with the treatment. True to his word, he wrote back. Several more letters followed where we exchanged thoughts and views.

Out of Willingway he went back to blogging. Over the months we continued to exchange an e-mail or two. He always encouraged The Rumbear to start a blog. Just write for yourself, he would say. I always deferred a firm response.

Over the weeks and days the Acidman's writing style was returning. He was getting back in stride. Then he died…June 26, 2006. The news hit hard.

When this blog was launched several months later, the words of the Acidman were ringing in my ears. Thanks Rob, rest in peace my friend..... R.I.P.
 


I am still wiggling old friend. But every once in a while I pause, and think about ya.  By God he stomped on the terra. Miss ya buddy.

Memories, they can't be bought and
They can't be won in carnivals for free
It took me years, to get these souvenirs
And I don't know how they slipped away from me...

"Souvenirs," by John Prine & Steve Goodman

1 comment:

Buck said...

Rob was one of my first blog-reads, too. You're right: he's missed.