Monday, June 24, 2013








Micro Switches and the Oddments Tray. 

The olde Porsche had some issues that needed to be addressed.  Nothing major just those niggling little items.

The hinge on the console storage compartment was broken.  Seems this is a regular fix on a Boxster.  So much so that they have a repair kit for it.  My search began looking for a "console hinge repair kit".  Not much came up on GOOGLE so I went to the Boxster Forums and learned that Porsche calls the console catch all box an "oddments tray".  Apparently learning a new term is part of the process.  Quick search and bingo!  $35.00 was spent and the part ordered.

Now the instructions call for the removal of the entire console to access the area where the hinge is installed.  I did find one forum where the install was performed with the console in place.  So I set the part aside waiting for a free day to tinker.

Friday I took the car to work and the top would not raise. Hmmm.  This has been an intermittent issue for a few weeks. Not really a problem since I leave the top down 98% of the time. A little research indicated that the parking brake has a micro switch to prevent the top from being operated while the vehicle is moving. Seems they go bad. To replace the switch you need to, wait for it, remove the entire console. Imagine that.

I searched around for the switch and found the part on line.  On a whim I called the local Porsche dealer and they had one in stock. A quick blast up to Miramar and the switch was in hand. $11.95.

While at the Porsche dealer I spoke to the Service Manager.  He was familiar with the hinge and switch issues. He advised that they charge 3.5 hours of labor plus parts for repair. Shop rate is $175.00 per hour, $612.50 plus parts ( He quoted $52.00 and $24.95)  $689.45....I was stunned.  Even for a Porsche dealer that seemed a little steep.

Which leads us to Saturday morning. FJ Meckanecky reporting. Up early with a cup of coffee and a couple of pages of diagrams relating to removing the console. Might as well tackle both at the same time.  I have worked on cars my entire life, so the task at hand was not a tall challenge.  I viewed it as a good little project.  One thing looming in my mind was the issue of removing plastic cover panels from a car interior.  These are generally held in place by a myriad of plastic clips and fasteners that were designed to break off when touched by human hands. (i.e. my hands)  However, with a $700.00 price tag, I was diving in.

The tear apart took me 30 minutes.  All panels came off intact. Removing the shift knob on the Tiptronic was another problem solved by a quick GOOGLE search. The console was out and the hinge repair would be easy. I decided to focus on the micro switch. 



The switch was located under the parking brake lever.  It was a pain to remove. Inserting the new one was an even bigger problem because I could not twist and turn it like the old broken one.  After a little cajoling it popped in to place! I tested it and the top was
operational. One down.


Out to the workshop with the console.  Drilled a couple of holes, two pop rivets and voila! ....hinge installed.

Back to garage, as you can see from the photos there was a good amount of debris. I took some time to vacuum, and clean up the items under the console. Put a little graphite lube on the shifter.

Re assembly went well. Panels snapped back in place and lined up perfectly. Overall time was 3.6 hours. Total savings $642.50. 


and then I did yard work.......


  

2 comments:

Buck said...

You have an automatic Boxster? Heresy! OMG...

Rumbear said...

Tiptronic. Best of both....switches to manual that you can shift by thumb on the steering wheel.