Saturday, March 10, 2012




Searching for Closure......

....more later.


It's later:

So I have been wrestling with this loss. "Gut punched" was the best description I heard from those who knew Lex far better than I.  Yet, gut punched I was.  The week has been long and the rest, less than restful. 


Postings at the blog Neptunus Lex have been some comfort.  The words of Padre Harvey bring focus. The way the group has rallied their support for one another has been impressive. Indeed, a tribute was proposed.

Thus, Friday, at 17:00 PST, I found myself at a gathering at Shakespeare's Pub in San Diego surrounded by people I did not know, raising a glass of Scotch to a man who brought us all together. A toast to Lex was made by the Colonel. I met a neighbor, sister and spent some time chatting with SNO. His wife was surrounded by close friends and I refrained from approach. Another time. There were many, like myself, that were taking comfort in just being there. Content to observe and listen.....enjoying a celebration of a life so full. I would be lying if I said there were no tears. But, that is part of the process.

On Facebook, a page was set up.  Postings of five other significant gatherings and many private tributes from around the country were noted. All had raised a glass of Guinness (for Strength!), Scotch or other favorite beverage as the bell tolled 1700. 

The gathering was a check point.  Despite the loss, or maybe because of, I now know the circle is strong. Friendships have been made, others expanded.   As I posted elsewhere;
Through a life in full, Lex clearly touched a number of wonderful people. If one can be measured by the company he keeps, clearly Lex was a giant amongst us. I thank the Almighty for having allowed our paths in life to cross, brief as it may have been. 

Naval aviator, warrior, poet, husband, father, humble scribe, & friend. One of the Tall Dogs, as another friend used to say.  The loss is great, the sorrow is painful, yet, for those left, life will continue, closure will come and we shall carry on....

Farewell Lex.