Thursday, March 01, 2007

I’m Neutral…..

So let me get this straight…

IF I am a socially conscious, politically correct, kinda human, like the Goracle and I know I’m stomping my carbon footprint all over the earth, like the Goracle. I can buy me some of them “Carbon Credits” and become “Carbon Neutral”. Hypocrisy be damned.....Life is Good.

So it would follow then that as an obese human and looking to better the world I could buy some “Calorie Credits” from my vegan neighbor and enjoy my Bigs Mac. I am “Caloric Neutral”. Life is Good.

Then I could admit to being an alcholic, because, I am. However, I have a tea-totaling friend and I could pay him some dollars and buy some “Rum Credits”. Thus I am “Alchohol Neutral”…waiter!. Life is Good.

And and then, upon reflection, I realize that I spend an inordinate amount of time on my sailboat reaching hither and yon under the cloth…..shouldn’t I get a “Sailcloth Credit” you know "Air Abuse Neutral". Maybe a bigger sail would get me a bigger credit…..hmmm ..... bigger boat. Life, is real Good.

Well, the problem is those pesky facts get in the way. Despite your good intentions and that warm fuzzy feeling you have from all your “credits” the fact is YOU will be a fat, drunk, sailing a big boat. It is patently clear that you can’t buy Calorie Credits, Rum Credits, or Sailcloth Credits and have any effect on your environs. So how is it that we need to debate the implications of a “Carbon Credit”?

As P. T. Barnum is said to have uttered “There is a sucker born every minute……”

No comments: